Japanese Pan Noodles with Sautéed Shrimp
A recipe from Ross Kamens, executive chef, Noodles & Company
1 lb wheat noodles
1 cup broccoli (cut into florets)
1 cup carrots (julienne cut)
½ cup scallions (cut on the bias)
½ cup red peppers (julienne cut)
½ cup fresh shiitake mushrooms (de-stemmed)
1 T fresh ginger (peeled & chopped)
¼ cup mirin
1 T pure sesame oil
1 T canola oil
1 cup sweet soy sauce
2 T Chile garlic sauce
1t black sesame seeds
24 shrimp (16-20 peeled & de-veined)
1. Cook noodles in boiling water until al dente, drain and cool in ice water.
2. Drain, let rest and toss with sesame oil.
3. Blanch broccoli and carrots in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, cool down in ice water, drain and set aside.
4. Place large sauté pan over high heat. Add canola oil and sauté mushrooms until lightly golden.
5. Add shrimp, carrots, broccoli, peppers, scallions, ginger, Chile garlic sauce, sweet soy, and noodles to pan in that order. Cook until noodles are caramelized or golden.
6. Place on platter and sprinkle with black sesame seeds