You will need:
* 1 package frozen quartered artichoke hearts, thawed or 1 (14.5 ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
* 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a little more for sprinkling after frying
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* canola oil for frying
1. Heat about 1 inch of canola oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat.
2. In a bowl beat the egg, set aside. In another bowl combine panko bread crumbs, dry bread crumbs, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
3. Pat dry the artichoke hearts. Dip them in egg and then bread crumb mixture. Toss to coat and shake to remove any excess.
4. Sprinkle a couple of bread crumbs into the oil, if they sizzle the oil is hot enough to begin frying. Fry the artichokes in batches until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Strain on paper towel or brown paper bag, sprinkle with kosher salt. Serve hot. (Note: It is important to do this in batches so that you don’t over crowd the pan and reduce the temperature of the oil.)
These are yummy on their own but I made a simple lemon-dill dipping sauce to go with them. Follow the recipe below if you’d like to make it too.
Lemon-Dill Dipping Sauce
You will need:
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
* 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Whisk all ingredients together, chill 20 minutes. Serve.