Beef and Mushroom Roulade (serves 6 - 8)
* a package of thinly sliced roulade steak .. .about 6 - 8 pieces
* 1/3 cup soy sauce
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar or marsala wine
* 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1. Mix the marinade ingredients together and put the thinly sliced steak and marinade into a zip loc bag and refrigerate overnight.
* 24 ounces button mushrooms . . .sliced
* 1 large diced onion
* 1/2 cup garlic and herb cream cheese
* small handful of chopped parsley
* 2 tablespoons butter
1. In a non stick frying pan, melt the butter and add the mushrooms and onions and saute until all the liquid has evaporated. Add the cream cheese and the parsley and remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
2. Pat dry all the pieces of meat. Put a small amount of mushroom filling on each piece and spread it out as evenly as possible. Roll the meat up. . and tie at each end. You can see this done in the collage above. If you have extra mushroom filling, it can be used in the sauce later.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan on medium hot heat. Do not use non stick, you will not have the small bits of caramelized meat that makes the sauce so tasty. Brown all the pieces of meat on two sides and transfer them to a heavy casserole that has a lid.
* 1/2 can of tomato paste
* 1 can of low sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 cup of garlic herb cream cheese
* the remainder of the mushroom filling
1. In the pan that you made the mushroom filling, add the sauce ingredients and stir just until combined over low heat.
2. Pour sauce over the roulade rolls in the heavy casserole. Cover with lid.
3. Put into a 325 oven for 2 -3 hours.
4. If needed, you can add additional chicken broth if the sauce becomes too thick.
5. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes.